An Exercise taken from “Psychic Development for Beginners”, by William W. Hewitt.
- Sit quietly in a place where you will not be disturbed. If there is a telephone near by, take it off the hook while doing this visualisation exercise. the exercise takes only a couple of minutes, although you can continue longer if you wish,
- Close your eyes,
- Take three deep breaths to relax,
- Visualise yourself holding seven balloons on separate strings: a red one, an orange one, a yellow one, a green one, a blue one, an indigo (dark blue) one, and a violet one,
- One at a time, release the balloons. Allow each one to float up and out of your mental sight. You can release them in any order you wish,
- When you have released them all, open your eyes. Repeat this exercise as often as you wish.
If you have difficulty creating colour, do not fret about it. Label the balloons with the words red, orange, yellow, and so forth, and tell yourself these are the colours.
If you have difficulty visualising at all, just pretend that you have the balloons. Tell yourself the colours and name each one yourself as you release it.
For all future exercises, if you have difficulty visualising, follow the example I have described in the two preceding paragraphs, using the details from the new exercise – just pretend. Eventually you will begin to visualise; for some people it takes a while to learn how.